View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Starship Troopers movie reboot? 

Post Starship Troopers movie reboot?
See The Onion A.V. Club story today, http://www.avclub.com/articles/starship ... mor,65971/.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm
Heinlein Nexus

Post Re: Starship Troopers movie reboot?
That article was a roller coaster of emotional reactions. On the one hand, it scored points with "the infinite nothing of Denise Richards’ eyes." On the other, it reveals the script will be in the same hands writing a sequel to Top Gun and a movie treatment of The Fall Guy. I... don't know what to say.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds like another disgusting subversion of one of Heinlein’s greatest novels. I never had the courage to attempt watching the first movie. There was no way the real meaning of Starship Troopers could be included in a movie and the reviews clearly showed that the movie totally missed Heinlein’s message.

I see that they intend to remake another bad movie, Top Gun. I am a retired military pilot and really enjoyed the aerial photography but usually watched it with the sound down and listing to some appropriate music such as Ride of the Valkyries.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:34 am

By pure mathematical logic, since it can't be any worse that the Verhoeven movie, if ever made it will be > or =. Even if =, it will at least be aweful in a different way.

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 am

I'm not familiar with that website specifically, although in the past I've spent some time reading The Onion, which has always, to my recollection, based on incorrect information used for comedic effect, not a truly serious reporting site. If this site is associated with them, is it possible that this report is also satire and or humor, and getting exactly the kind of emotional response intended?

On the other hand, I'd welcome a movie done in a style that adheres to the book. It still seems like it would translate well to the screen as it stands, without heavy handed story manipulation, or outright mangling, like previous movies have had.

I even made the mistake last month of watching the nominal sequel to Starship Troopers, which I suspect went directly to video, and for good reason. I'm still trying to scrub my brain of the memories.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 am

Actually, the Onion A.V. Club consists of legitimate (although sometimes snarky) entertainment-related reporting, reviews, and interviews, despite its association with the satirical Onion. They have separate staffs.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Since there is little outright action in the novel, Hollywood is going to insert action, and the more insertions, the likelier it is that the movie will go off track. Which doesn't mean it can't be a fun movie, just will have little to do with RAH.
Remember, Starship Troopers the novel is mostly Johnnie talking directly to the reader. There are action scenes, but not as many as in, say, The Puppet Masters (the novel, not the -- shudder -- movie).
Since what we Heinlein fans like is Heinlein's personality and ideas coming through his writing, it may be futile to think Hollywood is ever going to make a movie based on RAH's stories that ever satisfies us.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification, JJ.

And I do think there's some nice action in the book, although perhaps not enough to satisfy Hollywood. The sequence of Johnny jumping around in his suit, lobbing various types of ordinance does seem to be that would be great to see, though. But it wouldn't be a Mission: Impossible style of film, no. Hmmm. Now I need to think about how I'd turn it into a movie myself. At some point in the near future, my industry is going to come up with a set of tools to manipulate 3D worlds in a fashion such that making a movie at home won't require the same level of effort that current film making requires.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Honestly, I'm a huge Heinlein fan - but I thought that Starship Troopers was a hilarious movie. Just separate it from everything Heinlein and enjoy it for cheesiness and camp. I think eventually even Heinlein would have chuckled at the script and told us the writers were hacks just trying to make a buck... and if we all think back, isn't that just what Heinlein started out as? Didn't he call his early work 'hack work' in the collected letters published in Grumbles from the Grave?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:13 am

Diadian wrote:
...and if we all think back, isn't that just what Heinlein started out as? Didn't he call his early work 'hack work' in the collected letters published in Grumbles from the Grave?

A fair point--however, Heinlein was careful to "file off the serial numbers," as he said. He didn't use someone else's title and parts of their work almost verbatim. I think I need to adopt your attitude about the film and just "separate it from everything Heinlein." That seems like a good approach, and if they ever do this reboot we will have something else to love/hate. :lol:

"There comes a time in the life of every human when he or she must decide to risk 'his life, his fortune, and his sacred honor' on an outcome dubious. Those who fail the challenge are merely overgrown children, can never be anything else."

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next